We've Moved! Find us at http://www.MommyExpectations.com

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Baby Food Time

As I am about out of the supply of homemade baby food in the freezer, I am thinking about different veggies to try with Dustin this time around. So far, he has like carrots, green beans, eggplant, zucchini, acorn squash and sweet potato. The only thing he is not a huge fan of is bananas.

While at the grocery store today, I was hoping to find something fun and new to try. Unfortunately, the only veggies that looked good were ones we had already tried. I will make up some sauteed zucchini with onion and garlic this evening and blend the extras for Dustin a place in the freeze. The easiest way for me to make his food is to just make extras of whatever my husband & I are going to eat.

To blend, you really do not have to have anything fancy. I use an Electric Food Mill. What I like best about this one is how quiet it is and easy to clean. Dustin freaks out by the sound of my food processor because it is so loud. Really, you can use any appliance that allows you to puree. Once it is to the consistency I desire, then I scoop into a freezer tray and wait for it to solidify. After it has hardened, I remove from tray an place in labeled freezer bags. This method allows me to reuse the freezer trays before Dustin has finished all of that fruit or vegetable.

Dustin seems to enjoy food better when I use a little bit of spice. For example, I pair green beans with basil and pepper, zucchini as mentioned above with garlic and onion, acorn squash with cinnamon and cumin, etc. I welcome any other suggestions you may have for flavor combinations. What is your child's favorite meal?



No comments:

Post a Comment